The weekend beginning August 21st will find the greater Buffalo area filled with the rich vibrant music of jazz. A mix of festivals and special performance events featuring local and prominent international jazz artists hitting stages as well as venues in the area. Literally something for every avid jazz enthusiasts.
Here is a run down of some of the top picks for this weekend:
On Thursday, August 21st at PAUSA Art House beginning at 8pm you will find another special performance by Star People – the Miles Davis Repertory Project led by George Caldwell. Covering Miles Davis albums and compositions, this group of musicians have given us some memorable jazz moments thus far this year. It will feature George Caldwell on piano, Bobby Militello on alto sax, Tim Clarke on trumpet, John Bacon Jr. on drums, Doug Stone on tenor sax, and Danny Ziemann on bass.
Juini Booth, the world renowned jazz bassist who has played with such artists in the past 50 years as Art Blakely, McCoy Tyner, and Freddie Hubbard will be making two appearances this weekend as he ends his summer residency in Buffalo. The first is Throwdown III at Essex Street Pub this Thursday August 21st at 9pm. For free jazz lovers, find Juini Booth with Ravi Padmanabha on drums and Steve Baczkowski on saxophones. The second appearance takes place at PAUSA Art House this Saturday August 23rd beginning at 9pm. It will feature Juini Booth with young jazz prodigy Chunka Amare ' on trumpet, Dale Toliver on guitar, and featuring international jazz artist and Buffalo native Carmen Intorre on drums. No doubt a special event bringing together two international jazz artists who happen to have their origins in Buffalo.
The Bobby Militello Quartet will be making an appearance at Giancarlo’s this Friday August 22nd beginning at 6pm. Bobby will have with him George Caldwell on piano, Danny Ziemann on bass, and Mike Melito on drums. Bobby Militello is no doubt one of the top international jazz artist, in his own right and as the featured alto saxophone performer for Dave Brubeck, to ever come out of Buffalo.
A special performance entitled, The Legends of Jazz, is scheduled to happen this Sunday August 24th at the 189 Public House in East Aurora beginning at 4pm. It will feature two giant sax legends of Buffalo in Bobby Militello and Phil DiRe accompanied by John Hasselback on trombone, Wayne Moose on bass, and Abdul-Rahman Qadir on drums. And, it will also feature the legendary Raven and America keyboardists Jimmy Calire, visiting his hometown of Buffalo from California.
The Lewiston Jazz Festival gets into full swing this weekend beginning on Friday and running through Saturday evening. Top picks to catch include:
- Niagara Falls native Chris Tedesco on trumpet and Buffalo native Tony Galla on vocals – both now in Los Angelas – presenting “A Night Of Hollywood And Jazz” at 9pm Friday.
- Phil DiRe and Best Friends hit the Frontier House Friday at 6:30pm and will feature Phil Dire on sax, Jimmy Calire on piano along with Buddy Fadale on bass, Richie Merlo on trumpet, Louie Marino on drums, and Dave Schiavone on sax.
- While many know John Bacon Jr. the drummer, we get to see him here in his role as the Director of The SUNY Fredonia Latin Jazz Ensemble, which recently performed with trumpeter Arturo Sandoval. Bacon is one of our consummate jazz artist and no doubt will have this band putting on a great show. This Saturday at 2:15pm.
- The Wendell Rivera Quintet this Saturday at 12 noon. Wendell is an internationally recognized percussionist and composer in Latin Jazz we are lucky enough to have living in the Buffalo area. Joining him will be Dave Kayne on vibes, Andy Weinzler on sax, Pat Georger on piano, John Bacon Jr. on drums, and John curry on bass. You will be moving to Latin grooves!
- Syracuse jazz band E.S.P. makes an appearance on Saturday at 5:30pm. This band offers modern and jazz-fusion interpretations of bebop classics. Check it out.
- The festival closes Saturday night at 9pm with a performance by Concord Recording artist Karin Allyson. Allyson is a four time Grammy nominee and is recognized as one of today’s top jazz female vocalists. Here is a great video performance of Moanin':
The Elmwood Arts Festival kicks off this weekend also and will feature such artist as the George Caldwell Trio, The Ladies First Jazz Band, Bar Room Buzzards, Sol Y Sombra, Hot Club of Buffalo, Latin Jazz Project, Buffalo Hot Jass Revival, and The Fredtown Stompers. Visit here for a full listing: https://eafa.techriver.net/performances/
More Jazz In Town
Music on Main in Williamsville continues and will have My Cousin Tone’ at D’Avilos tonight at 6pm.
Joyce Carolyn with the Abdul-Rahman Qadir Trio Friday night at 9:30pm at the 31 Club
The Dave Schiavone Quartet this Saturday at Lebro’s beginning at 8:30pm
trioPAYAZZO will be at the Phoenix Sunday August 24th from 4-7pm with Andy Peruzzini on trumpet, Bernard Kunz on guitar, and special guest Carol McLaughlin on saxophone.
There is no shortage of top-notch jazz this weekend in Buffalo – rain or shine – get out and support live jazz!
Keep Jazz Alive In WNY!