- This event has passed.
Lopez / Tamez / Sanchez Trio
Friday, December 7, 2018 @ 8:00 pm - 11:00 pm$10
Guitarist Omar Tamez performs with Angelica Sanchez & the great drummer Ramon Lopez.
For his first appearance in Buffalo, internationally-renowned virtuoso drummer/percussionist Ramon Lopez will be joined by the enigmatic Mexican guitarist Omar Tamez & brilliant NYC pianist Angelica Sanchez for an exciting evening of music at Pausa Art House! This special concert event is co-presented by Hallwalls Contemporary Arts Center.
- “With very little gear, Tamez created sound worlds that eddied and flowed with full dynamic range…. speaking of open-hearted, Omar Tamez is one of the most humble, love-filled and accomplished people I have met. His easy smile and delicate mastery of the guitar are merely the most visible aspect of a brilliant, well-read, well-traveled musician…..his fascination with electronics was fueled by studies with Pierre Boulez and Karlheinz Stockhausen…..his photographic memory allows him to store vast amounts of information, including a deep knowledge of many types of music…” – Glenn Siegel, UMass Amherst Fine Arts Center
- born in Spain, settled in Paris in 1985.
- taught at the Conservatoire National Superieur de Musique in Paris (1994-2001)
- Between 1997 and 2000 he was the drummer of the French National Jazz Orchestra,
- He has collaborated on recordings and/or international concerts with Andrew Cyrille, Hamid Drake, Sonny Fortune, Charles Gayle, Ivo Perelman, Enrico Rava, Alain Silva, Archie Shepp, John Surman, Joachim Kuhn, Jeanne Lee, Gérard Lesne, Mal Waldron, Christine Wodrascka and many other avant-garde jazz artists.
- He was named “Knight of the Order of Arts and Letters” by the French Government in 2008.
Pianist/Composer/Educator Angelica Sanchez
- from Arizona, lives in New York.
- collaborated with Wadada Leo Smith, Paul Motian, Richard Davis, Tim Berne, and many more.
- her quintet features Marc Ducret, Tony Malaby, Drew Gress, and Tom Rainey.
- Cited for excellence in music by “Jazz Times Magazine”, The New York Times, The Chicago Tribune, and many more.
- Several of her recordings have been recognized by “The New York City Jazz Record (formerly AllAboutJazz-New York).”
more info at: